Fajã dos Cubres, which name derives from the plant called “cubres” [goldenrod], with the scientific name of “solidago sempervirens”, which produces small yellow flowers, was recently awarded the “7 Wonders of Portugal - Seaside Villages” award.
These are the main detritus fajãs of the Northern coast of São Jorge and are formed by the materials derived from movements which affected the high and steep overlooking cliffs. Among the island’s 74 fajãs, these include the only coastal lagoons of the archipelago, separated from the ocean by beach strands. In the case of Fajã da Caldeira do Sto. Cristo, a direct connection between the sea and the lagoon remains open, by human action, in order to allow the cultivation of clams. Fajã dos Cubres is located about 3 km West of the Fajã da Caldeira do Sto. Cristo and, just like the latter, saw its dimensions increased after the earthquakes, such as the ones in 1757 and 1980. The access to Fajã da Caldeira do Sto. Cristo, where an Interpretation Centre is located, is made through pedestrian paths from Fajã dos Cubres or from Topo’s Mountain, in which you may enjoy beautiful panoramic views of the island’s Northern coast. This is a prime geosite, with national relevance and scientific, pedagogical and geo-touristic interest.
Fajã da Caldeira de Santo Cristo