Serra do Cume Lookout
From here, you can enjoy a view over the bay of Praia da Vitória and the flat interior of the island divided by walls of volcanic stone known as “patchwork”.
Angra do Heroismo Museum
Situated in a former Franciscan convent of the seventeenth century. Here you can find yourself a bit of everything from cars to ceramics, through weapons, medals, coins, navigational instruments, sculptures, paintings, furniture and porcelain, etc.. Besides the museum, the monastery also houses the church of St. Francis, known as the Church of Our Lady of Guia, which is a beautiful example of religious architecture of the eighteenth century, boasting magnificent woodwork or ceilings, whether in altarpieces and altar . Also decorate the church statues and sculptures and tile panels only.
Forte de São Sebastião
Best known as Castelinho, this fort was built in 1580 and represented a new concept for coastal protection. It played an important role in the defence of Porto Pipas, where it was a very important harbour for international maritime trade.
Information Center of Natal Cave
Natal Cave is 700 m long and this information center is located at its entrance.
Silveira Bathing Site
Bathing site near the city center also known as Silveira's natural pools.
This beach – Big Beach – is the largest sand beach on Terceira Island. It is located in the bay of Praia da Vitória and provides good conditions for windsurfing.
Prainha da Praia da Vitória
This little beach is located nearby the marina of Praia da Vitória. During the bathing season it offers a bar and changing rooms available to all bathers. This is a good area for sea sports.
Biscoitos Bathing Site
Deemed one of the best bathing sites on Terceira Island, this area is formed by volcanic rocks, which create a very pleasant atmosphere.
Porto Martins Bathing Site
Very popular natural swimming pools. This area provides support and surveillance facilities.
Garden Duque da Terceira
Deemed one of the most important in the Azores, this garden contains a large variety of flora species from all over the world.
Negrito Bathing Site
This bathing site is located in the parish of São Mateus, near the old fortress of Negrito. It is formed by a flat-bottomed bay.
Former Esperança Convent
Founded in the second half of the 16th century, it used to be the convent of the Sisters of St. Clare. Currently, only a few traces of the convent are visible, since the structure has been housing other entities over the years.
Former Convent and Church of Saint Francis
Baroque convent currently functioning as the Museum of Angra do Heroísmo. The church of Saint Francis is located by the museum and it is open to visitors, who can also admire the statue of João Corte Real.
Former Convent and Church of São Gonçalo
First convent of the Sisters of St. Clare built in the city. It stands out for its Baroque architecture and gilded woodcarvings. It is open to visitors, who will be able to understand how the Poor Clares used to live.
Former Episcopal Palace
This palace dates back to 1544. King D. João II transferred it to the Bishops of Angra do Heroísmo. However, today it is no longer owned by the Diocese of Angra, as it houses the Regional Secretariat for Education and Culture.
Saint John the Baptist Castle
This castle, also known as Castle of Saint John the Baptist, is considered the largest fortress ever built by the Spaniards in the territories they once conquered. Currently the castle is a military facility.
Historic Center of Angra do Heroísmo
World Heritage Site since 1983, the city of Angra do Heroísmo achieved this title because of its urban plan and outline, which testifies for Portuguese history in general and Portuguese navigation history in particular.
Convent and Church of Nossa Senhora da Conceição
This church is located where the old Chapel of Nossa Senhora da Conceição used to be (1460-1474). Its architecture is sober and harmonious. This church is also part of the Protected Area of Angra do Heroísmo and classed as a Building of Public Interest.
Ponta das Contendas Lighthouse
This lighthouse, opened in 1934, is located in the southeastern coast of the island. Its tower is 13 meters high.
Ponta da Serreta Lighthouse
Lighthouse opened in 1908 and several times rebuilt, namely after the earthquake of 1980. A new, modern lighthouse was opened in 2004.
Igreja da Misericórdia
This church, located in Angra do Heroísmo, dates back to the 18th century and is currently classed as Building of Public Interest.
This cathedral is considered to be the biggest temple of the archipelago, its construction began in 1570 over the ruins of the gothic church of the Holy Saviour (fifteenth century) and ended 42 years later. Inside the highlight is the silver frontal of the altar of the Blessed Sacrament made by local artisans during the eighteenth century.
Obelisco do Alto da Memória
Built with stone from the old Moinhos Castle, this obelisk was erected in 1856 to pay homage to the visit of King D. Pedro IV to the island during the Portuguese Civil War. The first stone used for its construction was one of the stones that the emperor had stepped on when he disembarked in 1832. It affords an excellent panoramic view over Angra do Heroísmo.
Palácio Bettencourt is a manor house formerly owned by Francisco António Araújo Azevedo, Captain General of the Azores. It is currently the Public Library of Angra do Heroísmo.
The Town Hall of Angra do Heroísmo is one of the rare cases in Portugal of a building created from scratch to house the city coucil. Inside this building there are rare, valuable pieces.
Manor House and Chapel of Nossa Senhora dos Remédios
This manor house, also known as Solar do Provedor das Armadas, was built by Pero Anes do Canto with the purpose of serving both as his own home and a as facility to assist the King's Navy. Today the building belongs to the Regional Government of the Azores.
This theater house, located in the center of Angra do Heroísmo, dates back to the 19th century. In addition to hosting local theater ensembles, it hosts important shows at national level.
Reserva Florestal de Recreio do Viveiro da Falca
Reserva Florestal de Recreio do Monte Brasil
Reserva Florestal de Recreio da Mata da Serreta
An extinct volcano of three square kilometres, it is surrounded by the four km long walls of the São João Baptista Fort, nowadays the oldest fortress that has been continuously occupied by the Portuguese army.
Azores Environment Monitoring Center - Angra Science Center
This monitoring center aims at promoting science and technology. It includes an interactive area, as well as rooms for both leisure and learning activities.
Reserva Florestal de Recreio da Lagoa das Patas
Solar da Madre de Deus
This manor house is the current residence of the Representative of the Republic for the Azores. In 1930 it housed the island's first printing shop and it is considered a typical house of the highest points of the city.
The second most inhabited island of the Azores, with 56,437 inhabitants (2011 data), the Terceira island has 401.9 sq. Km, with 30.1 km long and 17.6 km at its maximum width. It is the eastern island of the five that form the central group and is the nearest one of São Jorge island, 37.9 km away. The highest point of the island, at 1,021 m altitude, is located in the Serra de Santa Bárbara, at 38°43’47’’ latitude north and 27°19’11’’ longitude west.